What exactly about this week has been awkward?
1. My two best friends are coming to visit me this weekend and, in my excitement, I spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out what to wear so that I would look pretty for two of the people in the world who think I’m beautiful no matter what. Awkward love!
2. I always get asked if I’m Irish on St. P — must be the red hair — and when I explain that no, some Ashkenazi Jews (like myself) are gingers, too, I usually get a really awkward look.
3. While grading with the professor for whom I work yesterday, I accidentally steered our topic of conversation over to vaginas. How do I do stuff like this?
4. I cleaned, scoured, scrubbed, dusted for like three hours yesterday in preparation for the visit. I really, really need to dust more.
Hmm, yes, that is awkward. But is it also awesome?
1. Did I mention the besties coming to town? Nothing could be more awesome.
2. Except that it was pretty awesome watching Guys and Dolls while I cleaned last night. And singing along to all of the songs. And reminiscing about my years on the stage. El Boyfriend might not have found this quite as awesome. Especially because I was singing all of the parts of all of the songs. Nothing but class over here!
3. This feels a little out of place next to so much of my silliness, but I am feeling that it is particularly awesome that all three of my Japanese exchange students’ families, friends, loved ones, homes, schools, etc., were spared major damage in the earthquake and tsunami. But since not everyone was lucky and the damage we have yet to discover will likely be severe, let’s all make an awesome Red Cross donation, which will help not only Japan but Christchurch, NZ, the unrest in North Africa and the Mid East, and our worldwide karma.
And, pray tell, could it be awesomely awkward, in addition?
Yes. Yes, it can be as awkward as animating myself.
Have a lovely St. P, all, and I hope you all have as much love in your lives as I feel in mine right now. And, because I’m not too invested in St. Patty’s day, I want to wish happiness for my favorite holiday of the year, which just happens to coincide: so Happy Spring Break!
Let’s all have a safe and sane St. Patty’s: avoid green vomit and use a designated driver.